Our approach to stakeholder engagement
Why Strategic Facilitators?
Our team members are experts in strategic stakeholder engagement and industry engagement, assisting organisations to understand the needs of their most important stakeholders and develop enduring partnerships. We have delivered thousands of workshops, interviews, and roundtables (large and small) across a wide range of industries and sectors. The tested approaches, methods and frameworks we have developed, plus our ability to harness the expertise of individuals and groups, makes us the perfect partner.
‘… effective stakeholder engagement is increasingly contributing to organisational resilience and flexibility, to learning and innovation, to the identification of new opportunities, and ultimately to the improvement of sustainable performance.’
‘Engaging with the individuals, groups of individuals or organisations that are affected by or can affect an organisation’s activities, and responding to their concerns makes organisations perform better. It increases their knowledge and contributes to their license to operate.’
AccountAbility (2005) AA1000SE Stakeholder Engagement Standard
Strategic Facilitators’ stakeholder engagement principles
- Define the purpose of engagement: articulate clearly why you are engaging your stakeholders and how their input will shape outcomes
- Be clear on the ‘negotiable’: identify what it is that stakeholders have the ability to influence or shape; the focus of the engagement should be on this ‘negotiable’
- Involve the right people: understand which stakeholders and stakeholder representatives are suited to your purpose and negotiable i.e., if there is a technical question/negotiable involve technical and industry stakeholders
- Choose the right method for engagement: the purpose, negotiable and stakeholder group will drive the most appropriate method for engagement. It may be face to face groups, online engagement or one on one interviews
- Engage stakeholders: use structured, yet open and inclusive approaches to engage the stakeholder group
- Capture the data and use it: Ensure that perspectives shared are recorded and then used as part of the next stage in your process
- Close the loop: Come back to your stakeholders and share how their input impacted the outcome and give them an opportunity to provide you feedback
Source: Strategic Facilitators (2017) Engagement principles; adapted from Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet (2013) Cabinet implementation toolkit: engaging stakeholders, June
- Facilitated the stakeholder debrief process for a state government task force and developed recommendations for changes that should be made. To ensure the diverse perspectives of all stakeholder groups (including employers, unions, MPs and government departments) were captured, we developed a consultation program that included workshops, one-on-one in-depth interviews, and surveys.
- Designed and facilitated a Policy Hack for a federal government department. The Hack Day was delivered for approximately 100 stakeholders from diverse background and included engaging stakeholders in the preparation phase and at the event.
- Prepared for and facilitated a series of stakeholder engagement workshops to inform the state government’s Renewable Energy Auction Scheme. We worked closely with the project team to run a consultation process to gather stakeholder input into three consultation papers.
- Led the stakeholder consultation process to inform the development of a new policy education campaign and roll out. This included a series of workshops throughout regional Victoria, plus the development of a stakeholder engagement survey.
- Facilitated the advisory panel for a statutory authority. This included a series of four stakeholder workshops and the development of a recommendation report based on outcomes of each discussion. We also developed a framework to assist in group decision making.
Please contact me for a quote: email@example.com or 03 9428 8817.