What to consider before preparing for a workshop or offsite
To download PDF click here.
When preparing for a workshop or offsite, it is important to define what you hope to achieve. Considering these ten questions will enable your team to have a shared understanding of the objectives and assist your team in working towards them.
1. What are your objectives for the event/workshop?
- Create an engaging and compelling new mission and 5-year vision for our organisation
- Clarify five year goals and corresponding strategic initiatives
- Align the senior management team and its work with the new vision and goals
- Identify two to three big growth ideas for our organisation
- Involve leaders in developing our business plan for the next planning period
- Refresh and confirm the environmental forces impacting our organisation
- Review our performance in the previous financial year
- Review our decision-making framework and develop and prioritise strategic initiatives
2. What are the deliverables for the workshop/offsite?
- An outline of a strategic plan that is supported by staff, including a statement of purpose and clear strategic objectives for the organisation
- Agreed list of potential merger candidates and a calendar of activities to advance discussions with candidates over the next six months
3. How will you know when you are successful?
- Unsolicited feedback from staff that their contributions have been considered
4. Who are the participants and how many will be attending? What are their wants and needs?
- Board members
- Executive team
- Project team
- Feeling anxious about change but enthusiastic about the opportunity to contribute to strategic decision making.
5. Are there any process issues that are important to you?
- We want to have all discussions in a large group – no break-outs
- We want long breaks between sessions to promote reflection
- We want to use digital technologies to increase participant engagement
6. What is in scope/out of scope for the workshop/offsite?
- In scope: the event, strategic plan including mission and goals
- Out of scope: Detailed discussion on measurement and resourcing
7. What are the key dates?
- Kick-off meeting with project team: <date>
- Workshop date: <date>
- Board member pre workshop interviews: to be completed by <date>
8. Who will be on the client project team?
- E.g. CEO, CEO’s personal assistant, two members of the executive team and Strategic Facilitators
9. What type of venue will help you to achieve your desired outcomes?
- An overnight venue with a room that has capacity for 45 people
- A venue with multiple break out rooms
10. What will happen after the workshop
- A small internal team will develop and draft the strategic plan
- We will re-engage with the participants in a month to review progress against actions
The information contained in this website is indicative and for general information purposes only. For full advice on running a workshop or offsite that will suit your individual requirements please contact Strategic Facilitators on 03 9428 8817.
To download PDF click here.